Monday, August 22, 2011

Meet the Teacher

Today is Monday and that means it is Meet the Teacher for the start of Teacher Week. I totally forgot but now I am going to put my 2 cents in.

 
**I usually don't take pictures of myself so I apologize in advance if you can really sense that I don't want to take this picture. I usually turn or run when I sense a camera being pointed at me. Yup it's that bad! I'm on the right next to my best friend while we were at the Baltimore Aquarium this summer.

How long have I been teaching?
I've been teaching for 7 years. I first started in preschool and absolutely loved four year olds. I went to school and only wanted to teach 2 year olds... yes twos. But I landed the four year old job and LOVED it! I thought I would have been still there but someone suggested I go for my elementary degree. I did and now I teach Kindergarten. This year will be my 2nd year in kindergarten. WOW, I went from twos to 5 and 6 year olds.:)

You might not know...
That I am a published writer. Not counting blogging because our writing gets "published" every day. But in my "spare" time I like to write poetry and when I was in high school and college I had some things published. Nowadays I can usually come up with a great song instead of writing poetry like my Astronaut Song (tune of "I'm a nut" that my grade level sung at our Community Helpers performance last year. Here is part of the song:
I’m a little astronaut on the moon.
My little rocket goes zoom, zoom, zoom.
When we get to lift off, do you know
The man on the speaker says “off we go!” (can get louder on "off we go")
~kindersontheblock~

What am I looking forward to this year?
I am looking forward to having a good class and teaching them some of the things that I have learned this summer through all the teacher blogs I am now following. It was like I was in class again but I have gained much more valuable information to share with my kinders than I could have if I just sat in a classroom. 

What do I need to improve?
My organizational skills are LACKING big time. I have some ideas on how to collect completed work, when to take the time to grade papers and where to put papers when I am finished with them. This I did not know last year and my room became a complete mess. I want to make sure everything has its place now. 

What can I not live without?
My laminator... greatest buy this year!
My smelly markers, the kids LOVED them and I love getting a whiff too.
Post-Its!!
And my school notebook. I write everything down in there, staff/team meeting notes, ideas that pop into my head, notes from books I am reading (still reading the Math Work Stations book).

I can't wait to meet some other teachers too, so become a BLOG hopper and join the linky party! And don't forget to join my Field Trip linky party too!


No comments:

Post a Comment